Traveling with Fido and not sure where to stay? There are many lodging establishments nowadays that call themselves “pet-friendly,” but some don’t offer much in the way of special amenities. Here are some tips for identifying an inn with authentic dog-itude.
Lodgings that make the cut:
- Provide dog treats, food and water bowls, dog beds, and other canine amenities;
- Provide biodegradable waste bags and conveniently located waste containers;
- Offer safe, easy access to clearly marked and fenced-in grassy areas where guests can exercise their dogs;
- Make guests feel special with memorable extras, such as dog-friendly outdoor dining tables; and
- Have dog-loving and knowledgeable staff available to answer questions, arrange tours, and recommend local off-leash recreation spots, pet sitters, doggie daycare, pet stores, and vets.
Lodgings that don’t measure up:
- Discriminate against certain breeds and sizes of dogs;
- Charge large deposits and non-refundable pet fees;
- Use products containing toxic chemicals to clean the rooms, which can affect the health of both owners and pets; and
- Don’t offer outdoor areas for dogs or any other special pet amenities.
Finally, what’s the absolute best sign that you and Fido have found your favorite home away from home? A cozy and clean dog pillow by the fire with a fresh bone tucked inside.